The 17th Iligan National Writers Workshop will be held on May 24-28, 2010 in Iligan City.
The Iligan workshop is one of three national writers workshops in the country institutionalized by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA).
Founded by Jaime An Lim, Christine Godinez-Ortega and Anthony L. Tan, the workshop opened in 1994 with Bienvenido Lumbera as its first keynote speaker.
The Iligan workshop accepts entries in English, Filipino and the regional languages: Sebuano (this is the correct spelling of Sebuano according to Philippine linguistics professors/researchers), Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a, Waray and Chabacano.
Each year, the Iligan workshop chooses a keynote speaker to deliver his address during its opening program that also features the MSU-IIT resident theater company, the Integrated Performing Arts Group, it gives a quota of five writing fellows per region and it is the only national workshop that publishes its proceedings. The proceedings contain the works submitted by writing fellows, their photos and bionotes and the commentaries of the panelists.
The panelists this year are: Ma. Rosario Cruz Lucero, Leoncio P. Deriada, Merlie M. Alunan, Victor N. Sugbo, Steven P.C. Fernandez, German V. Gervacio, Bro. Karl Gaspar, CSSR, the workshop director, Christine Godinez-Ortega and this year’s keynote speaker, Lawrence Ypil of Ateneo de Manila University.
This is a unique year for the Iligan workshop however because there is no regular funding from the NCCA therefore, qualified writing fellows will have to either look for sponsors or fund themselves to enable them to attend the workshop.
The Iligan workshop would like the guidelines below to be posted in panitikan.com.ph so more will know about them.
Guidelines for Applicants
I. Application Form
Submit filled up application form. Download form at: http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
A qualified applicant has to have a sponsor this year to pay for his round trip transportation to and from Iligan City and for his board and lodging totaling P10,000.00 for the duration of the workshop.
III. Cash/check deposits
All payments should be deposited in the Mindanao Creative Writers Group, Inc. checking account no. 000-322-1107-07, Landbank, Iligan City . Please inform the MCWG Treasurer, Pat Cruz when the cash or check has been deposited. Tel. (063) 2232343 or cell no. 0917-716-2822.
IV. Qualification requirement
1. An applicant shall have attended a local or regional workshop before joining the INWW but this may be waived by the evaluators in meritorious cases.
2. Applicants should submit any one of the following [or one genre per applicant]:
· Poetry – 5 poems
· Short Story – one short story of not more than 30 pages, double spaced on regular bond paper
· Play – one, one act play
· Novel – one chapter of a novel or novel-in-progress. This must be accompanied by a background and a summary of the novel.
3. Entries should be encoded in Word Document, Times New Roman, font 12, double spaced on regular sized bond paper.
4. Entries accepted are: English, Filipino and in the regional languages – Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a, Sebuano, Waray, Chabacano. Translations in English should also be submitted with the manuscripts in their original languages.
5. One hard copy and a soft copy in CD [Word Document] of each entry are submitted with the application form and cover letter.
6. Address cover letter to:
Director, 17th Iligan National Writers Workshop
c/o Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Extension
MSU-IIT, Iligan City
Tel. (063) 2232343
Contact Pat Cruz or Alice Bartolome
7. Deadline for all submissions: April 15, 2010
8. Qualified applicants will be notified by the INWW Director.
V. For other queries or details
Please call Pat Cruz or Alice Bartolome, MSU-IIT, OVCRE, tel (063) 2232343